Cycling with "Piston Legs" ...




Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling, people sitting, food and indoor


Yesterday was very special as my family was invited by Liza, KG's sister for lunch together with Jen Huat and Theodore at the Sentosa Golf Club and we had a wonderful time catching up and sharing our stories about our beloved KG. I promised her a video that I shot many years ago of myself and KG cycling in Bintan Island, Indonesia and here it is.


This was in June/July 2009. Koh Gay was cycling his Surly LHT 700c wheel touring bicycle while I was riding my Bike Friday Tikit ultra small 16" wheel folding bicycle. Two extremes in the bicycle world - one was the best touring bike and the other, the best folding bike. In a sense, our bikes reflected how different we were. KG is so tall while Im 5'6".  He loves running while I don't. He is so strong while I am average physically.  He is quiet and I'm chatty. He is serious and determined while I am playful. But we got along like a house on fire and were the best of friends since we met in ACS in 1977 or 40 years ago. Our friendship grew also because he lived nearby though moving house a few times but always near enough for us to meet frequently.

Our love for bicycles began way back and when he was at the University of Oregon in the mid 80s, he owned a beautiful pearl white Kuwahara road bike that he used to tour the countryside. Here we are, KG, Simon Fong and myself outside our Birch Manor townhouse that we shared and had many many happy memories.  I visited Eugene Oregon in 2009 and it was still there!

No automatic alt text available.

Our most memorable bicycle tour together was with Chris Wee in 2008 when we rode in Laos from Luang Prabuang to Vientiane - 400+km through the most torturous and magnificent mountains. What amazed Chris and I was that he didnt need to change gears very much as he powered up those long climbs and hence, earned the nickname Piston Legs. 

Image may contain: people riding bicycles, bicycle, outdoor and nature

However, there were some climbs that even got Piston Legs winded! Can you imagine the state us poor mortals were in?


Despite his cycling prowess, KG never looked down on us slow pokes and was always willing to help in anyway he can. He was never demanding and his easy going nature made him a joy to tour with.

Image may contain: 2 people, bicycle and outdoor

If you like to read more about the trip, Chris Wee's account in Crazyguyonabike - Short Haul Laos is most entertaining.

LHT 3 (KG) has gone AWOL a further 6 kms up the country road from Thalat. Last sighted near the Ritz Khamphang guest house. As if 115 kms wasn't enough, he's added 12 more. He gets an earful from Alvin, but all is well after some upsized fried rice and a giant of an omelette, followed by 3 chocolatey Magnum ice creams for dessert

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, outdoor and text

I am glad we have had many wonderful memories together on and off the saddle and as I write this, it has been about 4 months since KG left us. 

Looking back, I thank God for blessing me with such an amazing brother and friend all these 40 years. We shall ride again in the presence of Jesus one day.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.  Psalm 23:6



Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eulogy for KG - Ps Alvin Lee, Riverton Baptist Community Church, Perth.

Sharing from Mei Koh, Sunshine Ministry @ COOS.